Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wednesday 3/23/22 HORSES!

 So guys, I woke up in a bad mood this morning. Cranky, down, yucky. Just not in a good place. Even knowing I was going to spend time with horses today. It was very annoying and I couldn't seem to shake it. I spent some time drawing this morning (horses, of course), and just felt very blah and down. I had an early lunch and drove out to the barn where I was meeting Nancy (long time acquaintance and friend - she was my "person" when I went through equine facilitated psychotherapy myself). Well, she owns her own equine facilitated psychotherapy practice now and invited me out to see the horses and chat.

I got to the barn right before noon and as I stepped out of my truck and breathed deep . . . it's like I was transported to a better place. There's something about the smell of horses, hay, and manure that just make a girl feel at home. I didn't realize how much I missed that smell until I was there. I walked inside and found Nancy. We talked and loved on horses for over an hour. It wasn't ideal, though, because the weather was crap (cold and incredibly windy out). We made the best of it. She showed me around the indoor stalls and arena, we went outside (we didn't stay outside long because of the wind), and she invited me to come and volunteer with her organization! Guys - I'm so excited! And honored that she wants me to volunteer (she said herself she's picky about who she has as volunteers). So far I'll be doing Thursday mornings in June, working with some tweens. There's no riding - just working with the kids as they navigate horsemanship, learning about themselves in the process. Eeeeeek! 

For a long time I've thought about getting into the mental health field. I've looked for per diem day shifts at the local inpatient mental health facilities (to no avail) and had even considered diving in full time into mental health. I've had these thoughts for years (I've even toyed with the idea of going back to school to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner). So how wonderful is it that I get to help Nancy out with kids fighting anxiety or depression?! SO wonderful! And I get to do it with HORSES! I'm hoping this is a great opportunity for me. Maybe - just maybe - I can eventually get my PATH certification and do this as a side job . . . ahh, the dreams I have. 

Anyway, here's Titan, a very good boy who loved scritches from me and was very interested in me.


I almost forgot how soft horse's noses are! It's like heaven! I can't wait to be around them more again!

No comments:

Post a Comment