Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tuesday 4/20/21

 Well, today is every pot head's favorite day *insert eye roll here*. I don't have any funny one liners about this so stop looking for one.

Every week when I sit down to blog I realize just how boring my life is. Like, really boring. There's nothing new or exciting going on, there's was nothing exciting over the weekend (I worked Saturday), and there's nothing really exciting coming up. Huh. Boring. Which is okay, I guess, it just doesn't make for an exciting blog post. 

I worked yesterday and it was busy, again, just like it always is. Lots of babies being born. I was nursery yesterday. The day wasn't too bad but then right before shift change it got hectic. I went to a delivery where the poor mom had been pushing for almost 7 hours (usually after 4 hours of pushing mom has a c-section). But this mom was adamant that she was going to deliver vaginally. So that equated to almost 7 hours of pushing and the use of a vacuum to help pull the baby out. Now, not only does 7 hours of pushing exhaust the mom, it exhausts the baby too. So this kiddo came out limp, blue, and not breathing - my kind of delivery! (I like resuscitating). It took a couple minutes to get baby to breathe on her own - she was pretty shell shocked. But we got her going. While we (the other transition nursery nurse and I) were working on the baby I heard the OB doctor say "code white activate". This is not a good thing. Mom's uterus was tired from all of the contracting and mom was starting to hemorrhage. Bad. Within a minute the room was full of nurses and techs, blood bank and lab, and another doctor. I'd like to say it was a smooth operation, but it wasn't. There were too many people. But, within minutes, mom had a second IV started, was getting a blood transfusion, and the doctors were able to get the bleeding (which was profuse) to stop. During all of this I stayed with the baby, trying to keep her out of the NICU, and talked to and comforted the father. The baby ultimately ended up going to the NICU - she needed more time to transition and needed a little bit of oxygen. Mom has a long recovery ahead of her, but her and baby were doing well despite everything that happened. I said a prayer for them during the scenario and again last night that they would recover well and quickly. 

This is what I do everyday at work. Help bring new life into this world and sometimes participate in scary situations. I love it. I LOVE IT! I can't imagine doing anything else. And I really AM weird in that I love doing resuscitations. Most people want to avoid that - I dive right in. So I guess there was some excitement this past week. 

Anyway, I'm still painting birds. Here's some more:


 A blue tit, blue bird, and chickadee! Painted just for fun. I sketched out some more today that I plan on painting tomorrow. I'm really on a bird kick right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment